Sunday, March 9, 2014

Do You Want to Build a Snowman?

No? Well, me either! But I am a wee bit obsessed with Frozen. :)

I didn't LOVE it at the movies. I think this is mostly because it's hard to really soak a movie up when you are trying to make sure your daughter doesn't eat popcorn off the ground and your son doesn't "shush" everyone to death. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it. I thought it was good, but not amazing. No Beauty and the Beast or The Lion King. The music was a mix, I thought driving home from the theater. Some GENIUS, some Tangled rehash, some way too cutesy, and one song that had me gritting my teeth.

But the kids couldn't stop singing it. And I couldn't get it out of my head. And on our first (No)Snow Day, we watched clips of Frozen on youtube until the kids couldn't stand it anymore. Then I bought myself the soundtrack. - The kids think it's theirs but they are wrong. - And then I had every intention of waiting for the DVD release to buy it, but caved last week and have blissfully seen it 4 times. (Which if I was the kids it would be more like 10 by now. Obsessed!)

And now I am wholly converted and agree with the advertising tag line, the best animated film since The Lion King. And it's the first one since the switch to computer animation that has captured me so completely. I love Brave (Emma Thompson and Billy Connelly are fantastic as the parents!) and Wreck It Ralph and Monsters Inc and Toy Story. But Frozen just speaks to me.

"The sky's awake so I'm awake!!"
"We're not saying you can change him because people don't really change/All we're saying is love's a force that's powerful and strange/People make bad choices when they're mad or scared or stressed/Throw a little love their way and you'll bring out their best"
"Let it go, let it go/I'll rise like the break of dawn/Let it go, let it go/That perfect girl is gone!"
"Some people are worth melting for."

So. Awesome.

Then I read this. http://momastery.com/blog/2014/01/27/frozen/ It's awesome. Go read it. I'll wait. Here's a tissue.

And, on a far less life-changing note, this pin cracks me up.

So I made a couple of cards inspired by it.

 
This is one is inspired by everyone's favorite snowman.


And this one is inspired by the end credits. I loved the snowflakes against the black background. I'd love to work on this again as I don't feel I did them justice, but it was a fun experiment all the same. Sidenote: I'm pretty sure it's impossible to have too many snowflake dies or too many colors of glitter paper.

I am a super nerd when it comes to animated movies like this so feel free to tell me what you loved/hated/or otherwise about the movie!

Thanks for looking!
Paula

Supplies
Cool:
Stamps - Paper Smooches Swanky Snowman
Ink - Memento Tuxedo Black
Paper - PTI Spring Rain, white glitter paper (Recollections maybe?), and GP white
Other - Copics, PTI In the Meadow hill die, Recollections wood veneer, cutterbee scissors

Warm Hugs:
Stamps - Lawn Fawn Milo ABCs
Ink - Versamark
Paper - GKD black, assorted glitter and foil papers (from Michaels and Hobby Lobby, nothing super fancy)
Other - xyron (could not have survived without it on this one!), Zing light pink embossing powder, Impression Obsession Small snowflake set dies, Memory Box Lindeman Snowflake die

Also, nothing from Disney, Momastery, or Pinterest belongs to me. The cards are mine. Well, not anymore because I mailed them, but they were mine when I took the pictures. PS, I love Disney, Momastery, and Pinterest and you should check them out if you haven't. And if you haven't checked out Disney in some fashion yet I would just like to say "Welcome to civilization!"

3 comments:

  1. Great post Paula, now I need to see Frozen!
    Cute cards, and you can have my frozen that is coming again tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paula! Once again I love your writing! You captured so well the movie going with a toddler! So many times it's in the later viewings of a movie that it becomes a classic to me!

    I took E to Frozen. She isn't a movie buff like me but she decided she wanted to see it. We took a nice warm blanket, had popcorn and had a wonderful time. Her favorite character was Olaf and laughed a good bit. So fun to see your teen laugh!

    I read the link you gave us. Powerful stuff in there too!

    When I watched Frozen I connected with that bit of rage as she builds her ice castle.

    TFS your thoughts and your cards!

    Love that snowman and the wood veneer!

    Fun snowflake card!

    Now I want to see that movie again!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was there, too, and it was both a first.....with the grandchildren.....and a long overdue.......movie with my daughter. I loved it all!
    I agree with Angie..........I love your writing, Paula! Keep it up, please. Muuuaaah!

    ReplyDelete